1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I like natural fibers, wool being my all-time favourite. Silk, alpaca, linen, angora etc. are all gorgeous too, certain cotton as well. I'm not a big fan on synthetic fibers, but I do see a point in adding some polyamid in sock yarn or making cotton blend for better elasticity. I dislike most novelty yarns.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
They are in a big mess in my desk/chest of drawers combination inherited from my grandmother.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting since I was six and my first FO was a pot holder. I was initially taught by my mother, but everything more elaborate I've learned at comprehensive school from my crafts teachers, and later, when studying art and design. I suppose I'm pretty advanced.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
5. What's your favorite scent?
I'm not good with perfumes, colognes or even aromatherapy things. Scented candles belong to his category too, I'm afraid.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
There's no use of telling lies; Yes. Chocolate and licorice.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I have inherited an old spinning wheel, but I haven't learned how to use it yet. I like to weave, but our home isn't big enough for a loom. So when not knitting, I like to dye, mostly plant dyes, and do some felting, too.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like groovy soul and funk, as well some folk music and jazz. Good rock and pop has it's place too. Basically I prefer music with a heart and soul to TOP 10 hits. I sing in a choir so I love to listen to well-performed vocals. My computer plays MP3's and I do have an iPod so MP3s are ok. (I'm pretty strict when it comes to illegal copying...)
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
My favourite colours are plenty. I like all greens a lot, and browns too. Certain earthy reds and yellows are marvellous. For the moment purple is rising fast on my list. I also wear quite a lot of black and sometimes soft grey. If one wants to pick colours I could never wear, it would be bright white, ultramarine blue, navy and fuchsia.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have a lovely hubbie and a two-year-old son, who can be spotted in some older posts. We will also get a kitten in the beginning of September.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes to everything, except ponchos.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
13. What are you knitting right now?
Several pairs of socks and a swallowtail shawl to mention some of them. I'm a master of UFOs.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Absolutely! Unfortunately, as for most knitters, it tends to be vice versa.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Circulars for everything else except dpn's for socks, mitts and gloves. Bamboo and wood are nice and silent in public, but my hand is quite tight so I do use metal needles, too.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
It's a traditional sweater for my husband and the yarn choice wasn't excellent, so it has UFOed without sleeves for several years. I should rip it.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
If meaning these annual celebrations, it's Christmas, but if thinking of holiday periods off work it's definitely summer at the cottage by a lake without too many connections to the outside world.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Besides yarn and knitting books/magazines, its other books. Money spent on a book is never wasted. On smaller scale I do love fancy shoes and accessories like any girl.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I don't subscribe to any magazines, but I tend to buy Vogue Knitting and Interweave Knits as well a Finnish magazine Moda quite often. I also like French knitting magazines. I've been hankering for Elizabeth Zimmermann's books as I've got Knitter's Almanac and Knitting without Tears from my earlier Secret Pals and I absolutely love them! I would love to try any indie sock yarns.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes, I am. My feet are short and wide: they measure 22.5 cm / 8.75 inches (length) and 24 cm / 9.5 inches (circumference). This applies to my calves too, so no knee-highs for me. :)
23. When is your birthday?
24. Are you on Ravelry?
Yes I am. I have the same ID as here, Maijamirjami.