I've been terribly lazy with my blog lately. I've produced quite something and bought plenty of yarn too, as I was travelling and you can never leave good opportunities behind when travelling. I'll behave and post about these asap, it's a promise
I decided to upgrade my secrets to an international level and participate in Secret Pal #10. The rest of this post is information to my Secret Pal, where ever she/he will be. It's so exciting to wait for the pal's to be drafted!
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I like natural fibers, wool being my all-time favourite. Silk, alpaca and linen are all gorgeous too, certain cotton as well. I'm not a big fan on artificial fibers, but I do see a point in adding some polyamid in sock yarn or making cotton blend for better elasticity. I dislike most novelty yarns.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
They are in a big mess in my desk/chest of drawers combination inherited from my grandmother.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting since I was six and my first FO was a pot holder. I was initially taught by my mother, but everything more elaborate I've learned at comprehensive school from my crafts teachers, and later, when studying art and design.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Unfortunately no. I do love knitting books, though, so maybe I should. I'll inform my pal if I get one.
5. What's your favorite scent?
I'm not good with perfumes, colognes or even aromatherapy things. Scented candles belong to his category too, I'm afraid. However, I do love the aroma of birch, juniper and natural flowers like lily of the valley.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
There's no use of telling lies; Yes. Chocolate and licorice.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I have an old spinning wheel, but I haven't learned how to use it yet. I like to weave, but our home isn't big enough for a loom. So when not knitting, I like to dye, mostly plant dyes, and do some felting too.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like groovy soul and funk, as well some folk music and jazz. Good rock and pop has it's place too. Basically I prefer music with a heart and soul to TOP 10 hits. I sing in a choir so I love to listen to well-performed vocals. My computer plays MP3's.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
My favourite colours are plenty. I like all greens a lot, and browns too. Now as the spring is approaching I also notice soft aqua as well dusty mauve. Certain earthy reds and yellows are marvellous. I also wear quite a lot of black and sometimes soft grey. If one wants to pick colours I could never wear, it would be bright white, ultramarine blue, navy and fuchsia.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have a lovely hubbie and a two-year-old son, who can be spotted in some older posts. We don't have any pets.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes to everything, except ponchos.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
13. What are you knitting right now?
A guernsey for my son, and a pair of socks, of course. I always keep a knit with me and socks are perfect knits for commuting.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Absolutely! Unfortunately, as for most knitters, it tends to be vice versa.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Circulars for everything else except dpn's for socks, mitts and gloves. Bamboo and wood are nice and silent in public, but my hand is quite tight so I do like metal needles at home.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
It's a traditional sweater for my husband and the yarn choice wasn't excellent, so it has UFOed without sleeves for several years. I should rip it.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
If meaning these annual celebrations, it's Christmas, but if thinking of holiday periods off work it's definitely summer at the cottage by a lake without too many connections to the outside world.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Besides yarn and knitting books/magazines, its other books, mainly novels. Money spent on a book is never wasted. On smaller scale I do love fancy shoes and accessories like any girl.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I don't subscribe to any magazines, but I tend to buy Vogue Knitting and Interweave Knits as well a Finnish magasine Moda quite often. I also like French knitting magasines. I've been hankering for Elizabeth Zimmermann's books, as I got Knitter's Almanac from my Finnish Secret Pal last autumn and I absolutely love it! I would love to try Koigu sock yarn.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes, I am. My feet are short and wide: they measure 22.5 cm / 8.75 inches (length) and 24 cm / 9.5 inches (circumference). This applies to my calves too, so no knee-highs for me. :)
23. When is your birthday?